SOUTH CAROLINA - If you are headed to the coast, you might want to keep a close eye on the water.
Three great white sharks recently showed up off the South Carolina coast.
Ocearch, a shark-tracking nonprofit group, says sharks showing up in the Carolinas is a good thing.
“It’s a great sign. It means you’re managing your ocean well,” said Chris Fischer, founder of Ocearch. “It’s full of life, and they’re coming in to balance it and take out the weak, the dead and dying, so the stronger ones can make more fish for all of us and our grandchildren to eat.”
Ocearch has tagged 33 white sharks in the Atlantic waters since 2012. They will begin a new tagging expedition in February, focusing on the East Coast from Myrtle Beach to Jacksonville, Florida.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Suspect got more than he bargained for after chasing woman into north Charlotte karate studio
- Police: Woman struck by 2 cars, killed while waiting for tow truck
- Toddlers found covered in urine, so cold their feet were purple, investigators say
- Police investigating after Arizona woman in vegetative state gives birth
- New report shows increase in violent crime in Huntersville
© 2019 Cox Media Group.