LINCOLN COUNTY, N.C. - Lincoln County detectives have identified a man's body found inside a burning car Sunday morning north of Lincolnton.
The Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office said the fire was reported around 2:30 a.m. at a vacant lot in the 2600 block of High Knoll Road.
Firefighters who came to put out the fire found the remains of a person’s body inside the vehicle.
After an autopsy, the body was identified as 52-year-old Jimmy Wayne Brooks of Lincolnton.
Authorities said the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigations and the Lincoln County Fire Marshal’s Office have been called in to assist the Sheriff’s Office with the investigation.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office at (704) 732-9050 or the Lincoln County Communications Center at (704) 735-8202.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Thousands to attend funeral today for slain York County detective
- Parents say daughter who killed her 2 children 'never had a mental problem'
- Troopers: One dead in crash involving tractor-trailer in Union County
- VIDEO: Keith Monday's Monday forecast outlook
- Hundreds of journals found in home where 13 siblings held captive
- Huntersville town manager facing assault charge
© 2019 Cox Media Group.