CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department is considering creating a new unit that would patrol the light rail and Greenways.
The police chief has already requested 125 additional officers.
A spokesperson for CMPD said many of those officers would make up the new unit.
CMPD also wants to add blue lights and markings along greenways to help potential victims identify where they are when they call 911.
Last week, Channel 9 reported on a woman who was attacked when she was walking her dog on the McAlpine Greenway in south Charlotte.
The woman said a man grabbed her from behind with a knife and pushed her to the ground.
Police believe he intended to sexually assault her.
They have not named a suspect.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- WATCH: Keith Monday's severe weather forecast
- Suspect in weekend homicide taken into custody in west Charlotte
- 18-year-old charged in teen girl's shooting death at Mount Holly park
- Statesville hospital workers fall sick from pot-laced baked goods
- Body found in Catawba Co. woods identified as Charlotte 19-year-old
© 2019 Cox Media Group.