HAMLET, N.C. - An elderly man was mauled and killed by two dogs in Richmond County while a boy threw bricks to get the dogs off the man, the Hamlet police chief confirmed.
The attack, by a pit bull and mixed breed dog, happened just before 12:30 p.m. Saturday on West Hamlet Avenue near the intersection of High Street.
The man, David Baber, owned five dogs, including the two that attacked him. Both dogs were taken to an animal shelter.
Authorities said a little boy next door tried throwing bricks to get the dogs off Baber, who lived alone.
Police cannot find any relatives of Baber's to notify them of his death.
Hamlet Police Chief Scott Waters said Baber walked his dogs every morning and that the children next door called him "grandpa."
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 2 Myers Park HS students hit by truck while trying to get on school bus
- Retired Navy vet accused of killing girl found on Charlotte church lawn
- Still no answers 10 years after Kyle Fleischmann vanished from uptown
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Thursday forecast outlook
- Officials investigate cause of transformer fire at McGuire Nuclear Station
- Tears fall as Carrie Underwood pays tribute Vegas shooting victims
© 2018 Cox Media Group.