ROCK HILL, S.C. — The owners of a Rock Hill business are making sure the memory of Detective Mike Doty lives on.
Doty was one of four York County officers shot Jan. 17 during an ambush as they searched for domestic violence suspect Christian McCall. He died the next day.
Channel 9’s partners at the Rock Hill Herald spoke with woodworkers Robert and Courtney Deaton, who created a wooden thin blue line American flag in memory of Doty.
"We created this flag so we can honor Deputy Doty and the sacrifices he and his family made," Robert Deaton said.
The Deatons plan to give the flag to Doty's godson this Thursday.
They'll keep the wooden flag on display until then at their business, Breezy Willow on Ebenezer Road.
The couple is also raising money for Doty's family and the three other officers shot.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Boyfriend of slain Peach Stand employee: 'She was the love of my life'
- 'Backpage' meetup leads to shooting, arrests in Rowan County
- Man heading to shower stabbed at South Carolina campsite
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Monday forecast outlook
- Police say 15-year-old NC girl tried to shoot sleeping mother
Cox Media Group