CHARLOTTE — Balloons lined Beatties Ford Road on Friday night, where gunmen fired into a crowded Juneteenth celebration last year.
Nine people were shot. Three of them died, and another person was killed after being hit by a car trying to escape the gunfire.
There have been no arrests in the case, despite a plethora of witnesses where more than 180 rounds were fired.
Tuesday marked one year from when the chaos erupted at the block party.
“Whenever one of us walks out the door, no one knows what is going to happen when we are doing this traveling on our life journeys,” Lyles said. “Just remember, it is not always kind out there. It is not always easy out there, and all of us need to be very much aware of the evil things that go on. But once we are aware, we have to realize we have to do something about it. We have to make change happen.
On Friday, reporter Tina Terry spoke with a father of one of the victims who hasn’t given up on the possibility of an arrest.
Families are asking the community to come together and help solve the crime.
Kenneth Stevenson’s son, Dariyon Stevenson, was killed at the block party.
“It was the act of a coward,” Stevenson said. “I would also say, ‘What you’ve done is irreparable.”
Stevenson said community support is needed to ensure there is an arrest.
“It’s gone to take neighborhood and community and both to find some kind of solution of what exactly happened,” he said. “If you know something, say something.”
Stevenson said police assured him they have made progress.
If you have information on this case, call Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.
©2021 Cox Media Group