MARTINSVILLE, Va. — A driver trying to pass another vehicle ended up causing a crash that injured 22 people after a NASCAR race, Virginia State Police said.
State police said the driver of a Chevrolet SSR tried to pass a Jeep Patriot in the parking lot around 5:38 p.m. near turn two of the Martinsville Speedway. The Chevrolet hit the Jeep and several pedestrians.
Thirteen people were treated for the injuries at the scene. Nine other people were taken to nearby hospitals to be treated for non-life threatening injuries, police said.
Police are interviewing the driver of the Chevrolet and charges are pending. Authorities said alcohol does not appear to be a factor.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Pizza Hut employee shoots, kills attempted robber, CMPD says
- 3-year-old dies after playing at Monkey Joe's in Matthews
- Police officer's wife fabricates burglary, vandalizes own home
- Trio charged in murder of woman, toddler to face judge for first time
- Police: 22 injured in car crash outside NASCAR race in Martinsville