CHARLOTTE, N.C. - State officials were in northwest Charlotte Tuesday sifting through flood damage to see if families qualify for help from the state.
Many residents didn't have the right insurance to cover flooding from the Catawba River last week.
Susan Barbee’s house is damaged and without power. Volunteers have been helping her and her husband, Frank Barbee, who is a retired Vietnam veteran and uses an oxygen tank.
"My husband is on oxygen and he wants his house back," Susan Barbee said.
They don’t have insurance to cover repairs.
"I know we don't have flood insurance, and I know other people out here that don't,” Susan Barbee said.
New numbers from Mecklenburg County show 107 buildings were damaged when the river flooded near Riverside Drive.
About $3.3 million worth of damage was caused to the 94 homes in the area.
County leaders said Tuesday 12% of the property owners in the area have flood insurance.
Tom Gunter said he was laid off from work learned his home was underinsured.
A Christian volunteer group has been helping him and others affected by the flood.
"Serve the Lord,” he said. “Help these people."
Residents are hoping the team of state emergency workers will help, too after assessing the damage to the homes.
Officials will help decide whether residents will get state disaster assistance like low-interest loans and grants.
It could take a week before a decision is made on state disaster relief.
State workers will consider the extent of the damage, then the governor will decide whether to make a disaster declaration.
The criteria for disaster relief depends on the number of homeowners who were uninsured or underinsured.
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 3 teens arrested after 17-year-old girl shot to death in northwest Charlotte
- Teen, boyfriend charged after 2 found dead in mobile home arson
- Police arrest man accused of raping guard at South End construction site
- 9th American tourist dead in Dominican Republic while vacationing with friends
- Authorities conducting death investigation in Monroe
© 2019 Cox Media Group.