HAYS, NC - The U.S. Geological Survey said a small earthquake shook part of Wilkes County early Sunday evening.
The 2.7 magnitude quake was centered about a mile north of Hays around 7 p.m. and was recorded at a depth of just over a mile.
There were no reports of damage.
Small quakes are relatively common in the western Carolinas. There was another reported on the North Carolina/South Carolina border in April.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 14-year-old girl killed in apparent Chester County drive-by shooting
- Man shot to death while standing in north Charlotte driveway
- Source: Airport employee accused of inappropriately touching woman
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Monday forecast outlook
- Wild mare struck, killed by car on North Carolina beach
© 2018 Cox Media Group.