South Carolina comes in second for the most drunk driving accidents in the nation.
According to SafeWise, the Palmetto state falls second behind Wyoming.
The state had a rate of more than six deaths for every 10,000 people.
Eighty percent of the worst states have no minimum jail time for first-time DUI offenders. South Carolina is the outlier, with two days for a first offense.
North Carolina ranks 15th for drunk driving accidents in the nation.
Researchers say that they hope these numbers will remind people not to drink and drive anytime, especially on New Year's Eve.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- CMPD: 14-year-old shoots another 14-year-old inside east Charlotte home
- Woman's Christmas crime spree ends with chase through 3 counties, deputies say
- Deputy bitten while responding to vicious pit bull attack in Union County, officials say
- Troopers: Woman to be charged with DWI after car hits 2 vehicles, flips on I-85
- Former SC assistant principal pleads guilty to sex charge
© 2019 Cox Media Group.