CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police have made an arrest in connection with the October shooting death of a woman in east Charlotte.
Yamina Rookard, 17, has been charged with murder and robbery with a dangerous weapon.
Officers were called around 11:20 p.m. on Oct. 17 to the scene at Eastcrest Drive and Central Avenue and found a woman who had been shot.
We first updated WSOCTV news app users with a notification just before 5 a.m. on Oct. 18 that a woman was shot to death and the suspect was still at large.
Download the WSOCTV news app for your smartphone and get updates on this developing story as they come in.
Jessica Dawn Smith, 29, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Channel 9 crews watched as detectives searched for clues behind a nearby business.
Rookard was transferred to the custody of the Mecklenburg County Jail and has been charged with murder and robbery with a dangerous weapon.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Gov. Cooper orders flags to fly at half-staff to honor slain NC state trooper
- Grandmother fighting for children months after daughter was shot, killed
- Man accused in Pineville homicide shows up at hospital with gunshot wound
- WATCH: Jaclyn Shearer's Thursday forecast outlook
- USDA cites Lazy 5 Ranch in Mooresville with dozens of animal welfare violations
© 2019 Cox Media Group.