MATTHEWS, N.C. - Officials have identified the man killed when a tree fell on his car Sunday afternoon in Matthews.
Police said 61-year-old Paul Green Ladd Jr. was killed and his wife was injured after a tree fell on their car during Sunday's winter storm.
Officials closed East John Street near Charles Buckley Way for the investigation. The road has reopened.
Police said after the car was struck by the tree, it crashed into the front of Matthews Church of God before stopping in a residential yard.
"I saw a tree come down smash the top of the car and the vehicle went full speed off the sidewalk and eventually stopped by hitting a tree,” witness Sarah Kelly said.
Kelly held the Ladd's hand while another good Samaritan gave him CPR.
Tyler Bell, who lives in the neighborhood, got a blanket for the Ladd's wife who suffered only minor injuries.
"How else is this tree gonna fall at the right time of day just for that person to get hit? Bell said. “It’s terrible, makes you think about how precious life is."
Check back to wsoctv.com for updates on this story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Select CMS schools closed Tuesday after winter storm, others delayed
- ‘Nothing but scorn for humanity': Newly released writings show evolution of Sandy Hook shooter
- Masked man invades Stanly County home, flees
- TRACKING: Icy roads present morning hazard before slight warm-up
- SC woman pleads guilty to assaulting black teen at pool
© 2019 Cox Media Group.