ROWAN COUNTY, N.C. - The Rowan County Sheriff's Office said an attempted robbery led to a deadly shooting earlier this month.
Deputies discovered Robin Otto Worth Jr. dead in a yard along Foster Road in Woodleaf around 4 a.m. Sept. 14.
Investigators said Worth and another person had driven there and approached the home in an apparent robbery attempt.
They said both Worth and the other person fired shots, hitting two men. One of the men fired back, hitting and killing Worth.
Deputies said the other person took off and left Worth lying outside the home.
The two men who had been shot showed up at the emergency room.
The shooting investigation has been reviewed with the Rowan County District Attorney's Office and investigators said murder charges related to Worth's death will not be filed based on self-defense.
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com
- Woman attacked while jogging on Charlotte greenway, police say
- Rock Hill man betrayed after attorney pockets $166K mortgage payoff
- 'He was looking forward to heaven': Boy with rare form of dwarfism laid to rest
- New traffic pattern on North Tryon Street causes confusion for drivers
- Man arrested for taking pictures up woman's skirt in Michaels, police say
© 2019 Cox Media Group.