MOORESVILLE, N.C. — A driver was charged with DWI and careless and reckless driving after authorities said the person crashed into a power pole Sunday night in Mooresville.
The driver hit a power pole around 11 p.m. on Perth Road, causing the vehicle to flip upside down.
Officials said the driver got out of the vehicle and was shocked by the power lines that were brought down because of the wreck.
The person was taken Carolinas Medical Center then flown to Winston-Salem in critical condition.
Duke Energy was called to the scene to fix the downed lines.
Crews have closed parts of Perth Road while they clean up the crash scene. The closure will impact school bus routes at Lake Shore Elementary School, Lake Shore Middle School and Lake Norman High School. The school district said accommodations will be given to students who arrive late to class.
Check back to wsoctv.com for more this developing story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police investigating triple homicide in small NC town
- 1 person shocked by power lines after Mooresville crash
- Trooper hospitalized, 2 arrested after 110 mph chase through Charlotte
- United Airlines pilot reportedly removed from flight after rant about Trump, Clinton, divorce
- Walt Disney World raises ticket prices