CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A mail carrier was seriously injured after being shot Thursday afternoon in west Charlotte, police said.
Ed McDaniels was working his route on Archer Avenue near Clanton Road when the shooting happened, his mother told Channel 9.
"I want to know what happened," Carolyn McDaniels said.
She said the shooting took place while her son was delivering mail in her neighborhood. She told Channel 9 her son retired from the U.S. Air Force after 25 years and has never gotten into any trouble.
"Why? Why did y'all shoot him?" Carolyn asked. “That's what I want to know. Edward (didn’t) bother nobody"
He happened to land the delivery route near his family's home.
"Even the mail people asked me about him,” Carolyn McDaniels said. “Asked me have I ever seen him smile because he (didn’t) talk to nobody."
Ed McDaniels was taken to Carolina Medical Center with serious injuries. Investigators said he and the suspects were involved in an altercation when he was shot.
"Anytime there is a shooting, there is a concern in any neighborhood that it takes place," Charlotte-Mecklenburg police Capt. Tonya Arrington said.
No arrests have been made. The U.S. Postal Inspection Service is offering a $50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction a suspect.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Southern gasoline pipeline to shut down due to Harvey
- Caldwell Co. mother seeks answers after daughter left to die following party
- 'Two punk' TV shoplifters held in death of 81-year-old Sears worker
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Thursday forecast outlook
- Huge asteroid on track to pass close to Earth overnight
- Police say argument led to Charlotte's 61st homicide of 2017
© 2019 Cox Media Group.