MOORE COUNTY, N.C. — A total of 19,000 chickens died after an electrical fire Thanksgiving night in Moore County, WTVD reported.
The fire happened around 9:30 p.m. at Watts Auman Farm, officials said.
Firefighters said when they got to the scene, chicken houses were on fire.
Watts Aumna Farm said it had about 40,000 chickens and works with the giant chicken processing company Perdue Farms.
The other chicken houses did not catch on fire and Perdue said it is examining the chickens that survived for smoke inhalation and any other injuries.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Person shot after argument at northwest Charlotte club, police say
- Stores placed on lockdown after fights break out at Carolina Place Mall
- 9-year-old boy accidentally killed by father while hunting in SC, officials say
- Contracted Santa worker says negative criticism was racially driven
- Popular NoDa restaurants now taking reservations, for a price
Cox Media Group