HICKORY, N.C. - Northview Middle School teachers were told the 13-year-old student who fell in an open stairwell at school last week has died.
According to officials, the 8th-grader was airlifted from the school to a Charlotte hospital last Monday after he lost his balance and fell.
There will be a dozen counselors at the school Tuesday for support, and banners will be available for students to sign.
Teachers gathered around a flag pole on campus last week to pray for the boy while he was in the hospital.
Parents told Channel 9 there is a protective railing that is four feet high, which runs all the way up the stairs.
The district said it's reviewing what led to the student's death, and that there is a camera in the stairwell.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Man charged after body found inside south Charlotte home
- Chief: Ride-share mistake led to death of University of South Carolina student
- CMPD conducting death investigation after boater finds body in Lake Wylie
- FORECAST: No April Fools' -- slim chance of snow possible in Carolinas
- Local couple married 82 years shares secrets to lasting marriage
© 2019 Cox Media Group.