ALBEMARLE, N.C. - Two people died Thursday night after a three-vehicle wreck in Albemarle.
Police said that the crash happened just before 8 p.m. on Northeast Connector at Moss Springs Road.
Investigators told Channel 9 that a 2010 Dodge driven by 35-year-old Gary Thomas Jr. was heading south and crossed the center line, striking a 2001 Kia and a 2016 Chevrolet truck.
Maria Schumacher, 44, was driving the Kia.
Police said both Thomas and Schumacher were killed.
The driver of the Chevy, 27-year-old Colton Huneycutt, was hurt but will survive, authorities said.
A passenger in the Dodge, Francine Close, 44, was airlifted to Carolinas-Medical Center in Charlotte with serious injuries.
Police have not said what may have caused Thomas to cross the center line, and that the investigation is ongoing.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Birth mother kills teen girl after reunion, burns her body in fire pit on remote farm, police say
- Store clerk shot during robbery inside Huntersville 7-Eleven
- Texas prepares as Harvey strengthens to Category 2 storm
- Massachusetts woman wins $758M Powerball prize: 'I said, it's never going to be me'
- WATCH: Keith Monday's weekend forecast outlook
- SC principal apologizes for telling students they 'look fat' in leggings
© 2019 Cox Media Group.