MAXTON, N.C. - The Carolina Waterfowl Rescue is desperate for help after officials said several birds being transported from Wilmington to Charlotte flew off of a vehicle.
The group said a strap broke because of strong winds while a volunteer was driving a truck with five birds in crates. The driver didn’t notice the animals were missing until arriving in the Maxton area.
Officials told Channel 9 they've found four of the five birds but are still desperately searching for a hawk that isn't able to fly.
They said they plan to have people out searching again Friday morning but had to call off the efforts Thursday night because of dangerous conditions.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- MINUTE-BY-MINUTE: Carolinas prepare for 'historic major damage' from Florence
- FLORENCE ARRIVES: Watch these must-see livestreams of the Carolina coast
- Hurricane Florence live updates: Large, dangerous storm begins to lash Carolina coast
- CHARLOTTE FORECAST: Florence weakens but flooding remains major concern
- Charlotte parents forced to find backup plans with schools, day cares closed
© 2019 Cox Media Group.