NORTH CAROLINA - Starting Monday, candidates can officially start filing to run in the new District 9 Congressional Election.
The primary is scheduled for May 14. The special election will be held September 10, unless there is a runoff. If this happens, the special election will be pushed back to November 5.
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
Right now, three Republicans have said they will run for the seat.
- Former Mecklenburg County Commissioner Matthew Ridenhour
- Fayetteville Businesswoman Stevie Rivenbark
- Union County Commissioner Stony Rushing
The primary winner will take on Democrat Dan McCready.
Five people have already been charged in the District 9 electrion fraud investigation.
They all face charges connected to the illegal ballot harvesting operation McCrae Dowless is accused of running.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Massive fire destroys leasing office, clubhouse at east Charlotte apartments
- 'It's the best feeling to think about': Paralyzed SC teen learning to walk again
- WATCH: Subway apologizes after video shows Concord worker hitting, cursing at woman
- FORECAST: Cloudy Monday but workweek looking dry, mild
© 2019 Cox Media Group.