LINCOLNTON, NC — The Lincoln County Sheriff's Office is working to learn who put credit card skimmers on two gas pumps at the Country Corner Convenience Store on Highway 150 east of Lincolnton.
Deputies started investigating after the People's Bank alerted them that several people who made gas purchases at the store were the victims of credit card fraud.
The skimmers were found hidden inside the pumps, and were not visible from the outside. It's suspected the devices were installed on or before March 27. Any cards used at pump #1 or #4 between then and May 2 were likely compromised.
Deputies recommend using credit cards rather than PIN-based debit cards at gas pumps to protect yourself from fraud.
- Look for a secured seal over the main pump panel. If seal indicates a "void" marking, the machine may have been compromised.
- Look at the card reader – does it match the other pumps? If there are differences a skimmer may be attached.
- Run your debit card as a credit card at the pump to protect your PIN number, or pay inside the store.
- Monitor financial accounts regularly for unauthorized activity.
Anyone with information on who might have placed the skimmers is asked to call Lincoln County Crimestoppers at (704) 736-8909.
Additional information on skimmers can be found here.
This is just the latest in a series of credit card skimming reports across the region:
- Maiden police looking for card skimmer suspect
- Credit card skimmers found on Hickory gas pumps
- 3 card skimmers discovered at south Charlotte gas station
- 'Sophisticated' card skimmer found on Hickory ATM
- Police warn of credit card skimmers in Gastonia
- Police warn residents after skimmer found in Matthews, Indian Trail
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Inspection report released on party bus that UNCC student fell from, died
- Father heartbroken after family killed in collision with alligator on I-95
- WATCH: Pollen cloud springs from tree in sneeze-worthy viral video
- VIDEO: Keith Monday's Wednesday forecast outlook
- New sheriff in town: McFadden ousts Carmichael in Meck County
Cox Media Group