CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A driver recklessly drove over the plastic divider out of the Interstate 77 toll lanes and into the general purpose lanes, spreading debris across the highway that nearly hit a car.
Another driver caught the risky maneuver near Exit 23 on dash cam video.
North Carolina Department of Transportation officials said the poles are meant to be bendable, so emergency crews can drive over them.
"It scared me half to death and initially, I was like, 'Oh, this is how I'm going to die,’” said Courtney Holliday, the driver who caught the incident on camera.
North Carolina Highway Patrol said troopers are assigned to the area around the toll lanes to enforce speed limits, respond to crashes and try to prevent reckless maneuvers like this.
"How reckless are people?” Holliday said. “And I don't know. I just feel like it’s crazy because they're obviously not thinking about anyone else that's driving on the road."
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Woman killed, man survives after explosion levels $1.2 million Ballantyne home
- NC closes daycare where worker accused of dropping infant on purpose
- CMS teacher accused of being combative during DWI arrest resigns
- FORECAST: Air quality concerns ahead of possible Fourth of July storms
- Former NFL quarterback shot by girlfriend's ex, Concord police say
© 2019 Cox Media Group.