CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said they found a pistol in a man's bag Sunday outside the Bank of America Stadium ahead of the Panthers game.
Officers arrested Bruce Garmon when they found the unloaded pistol, as well as a fully-loaded magazine.
Police also found two Smith and Wesson 9mm magazines along with 34 9mm rounds in Romare Bearden Park Sunday morning prior to the game.
The Charlotte interim city manager and CMPD had declared the Panthers vs. Vikings game an extraordinary event, after days of protests against a deadly officer-involved shooting.
An extraordinary event allows for tighter security and bans certain items such as backpacks from being brought into the event.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Heavy downpours create water rescues, flooding across Charlotte
- Videos of deadly encounter between CMPD officer, Keith Scott released
- CMPD arrest man with pistol, magazine in bag at Panthers game
- MINUTE-BY-MINUTE: Mayor lifts city-wide curfew
- Shooter injures multiple people in Houston; suspect down
Cox Media Group