CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department is recognizing two officers who went out of their way to help a single mother who they said needed a helping hand.
Officer Will Reinke said he responded to a call at the woman’s home on Feb. 5 when someone slashed her tire and kicked in her door.
She still had a spare tire on her car weeks later, so Reinke said he asked if he could take the spare in for fingerprints.
Instead, Reinke took the tire to an auto shop and got a new rim for her. He also asked Officer Adam Planty to help bring the new tire to surprise her.
Reinke also brought a stuffed police dog for the woman’s daughter.
The two officers even took time to make repairs to the woman's broken door frame, officials said.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- New election ordered in 9th district after Harris calls for new race
- Wet roads blamed for crash that killed Statesville mom taking daughter to school
- Former Gaston Co. doctor sentenced to 3 years after trading pills for sex
- FORECAST: No let up as rainy weather continues into weekend
- Police follow stolen car to popular midtown shopping center; man arrested
© 2019 Cox Media Group.