CHARLOTTE, N.C. — An officer with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department has started a GoFundMe campaign to help a woman whose daughter has been hospitalized for 17 days.
Sonia Reyes, a single mother of four girls, lost her job at a dry-cleaning business after missing work because her 13-year-old daughter, Janeth, was diagnosed with a serious blood disorder, then came down with pneumonia.
Sonia also cares for her elderly mother, as well as her disabled brother.
Officer Rhonda Murray said she first got to know the Salas-Reyes family about one and a half years ago when they started attending the Kops and Kids Learn Spanish program. The eldest daughter, Yazmin, later developed an interest in becoming a crime scene technician and joined the CMPD Explorers Program.
Murray said the family is proud and normally wouldn’t accept help, but she convinced Sonia that the circumstances surrounding Janeth’s hospitalization are special.
One local business, Choate Construction, has also adopted the Salas-Reyes children for Christmas.
In a Facebook post, CMPD officials said Janeth is responding well to medication and that her prognosis is good, but she will need lengthy treatment to overcome her blood disorder.
Even with all the help, Murray said, it’s going to be difficult for the family to get back on its feet.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Troopers: Deadly Gaston County crash caused by driver who fell asleep
- 9 investigates transparency at 12 largest Charlotte area churches
- Former officer serving time tried to mail teen he impregnated, family says
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Tuesday forecast outlook
- Mark Wahlberg's burger restaurant 'Wahlburgers' to open in Charlotte
- Judge sentences Morganton mother in 3-year-old son's freezing death
Cox Media Group