CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools officials announced all schools will be closed for students and staff on Monday.
This weekend’s winter storm knocked out power at dozens of schools, while creating hazardous conditions on roads, parking lots and bridges throughout the area.
CMS officials also said that all after-school programs and activities will be canceled Monday.
There has yet to be a decision about Tuesday's schedule.
CMS released the following statement:
"The safety of students, staff and families is always top priority. Experts predict possible dangerous road conditions and power outages for Monday, Dec. 10, due to ongoing impacts of winter weather over the weekend. CMS understands that school closings can be disruptive for everyone as work schedules, child care, transportation and other plans are changed. CMS made this decision in partnership with safety and weather experts, city and county government and law enforcement.
"CMS continues to monitor weather conditions with weather and safety experts, law enforcement and local government officials. CMS will advise families, students, staff and the community of the school schedule for Tuesday, Dec. 11, through direct phone calls, social media, the CMS website and area media outlets. Make-up days will be announced soon."
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- TRACKING: Remnants of weekend winter storm bring concern for black ice during morning drive
- WATCH: Swimsuit-clad North Carolina family frolics in snow in hilarious viral video
- WINTER STORM: Running list of closings and delays
- Firefighters put out fire at historic Fort Mill church
- Man dies, wife injured after tree crashes on car in Matthews
© 2019 Cox Media Group.