HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. - Parents of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools students in Huntersville met at a district town hall meeting Tuesday night.
House Bill 514 would let the towns of Matthews and Mint Hill create their own charter schools.
CMS opposes that bill while and Huntersville residents have expressed interest in being added to the bill.
The Huntersville mayor says schools there are at capacity.
“We just simply want additional choices and to add capacity to the town of Huntersville students,” Mayor John Aneralla said.
Cornelius officials have also shown interest in joining the bill.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Report: Hedge fund manager expected to sign Panthers purchase deal
- CMPD: Officer fired gun at man threatening suicide; nobody hurt
- College student carjacked at Ballantyne shopping center: 'It felt like a movie'
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Tuesday forecast outlook
- Mount Holly police shoot man holding knife, threatening to kill child
© 2019 Cox Media Group.