MOUNT HOLLY, N.C. - Mount Holly police shot a man Monday evening who they said was armed with a knife and threatening to kill a child.
Officers responded to a home on Park Avenue just before 7 p.m. after receiving a call about a disturbance. When they arrived, officers found the man who they said was armed with a knife and holding a small child.
One officer shot the man in the leg, and the child was able to escape unharmed.
The suspect was taken into custody and taken to a hospital in Gastonia. His name has not been released.
The officer who fired his weapon is on administrative leave while the SBI investigates, which is standard procedure.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Report: Hedge fund manager expected to sign Panthers purchase deal
- CMPD: Officer fired gun at man threatening suicide; nobody hurt
- College student carjacked at Ballantyne shopping center: 'It felt like a movie'
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Tuesday forecast outlook
- Mount Holly police shoot man holding knife, threatening to kill child
© 2019 Cox Media Group.