CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police said they have made an arrest in a deadly hit-and-run from January, where the driver walked over to the pedestrian laying in the street and then drove away.
Police charged 38-year-old Steven Desario Horton with felony hit and run.
On January 12, a driver in a burgundy SUV struck a pedestrian on Reagan Drive near West Sugar Creek Road in north Charlotte, CMPD said.
Police said the driver, Horton, then got out of the vehicle, walked over to the person who was thrown onto the roadway, and then got back in the SUV and left.
Officers said they conducted a traffic stop on a burgundy SUV and the damage matched the vehicle involved in the crash.
Investigators said debris collected from the scene of the crash "postiviely matched" the burgundy SUV.
The victim, later identified as 28-year-old Tommie Ruffin, was taken to Atrium Health and died four days later.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- CMPD: Man matching description of armed robbery suspect killed in officer-involved shooting
- Search underway for teen with special needs who left home in undergarments
- Ex-NFL player beats up alleged peeping Tom outside daughter's window
- FORECAST: Clouds, scattered showers move in ahead of wet weekend
- Heroic nurse saves trooper's life after over a dozen bullets fly through windshield
© 2019 Cox Media Group.