2 teens accused of stealing, crashing ex-Panthers star’s sports car arrested

UNION COUNTY, N.C. — Two teenagers who deputies said broke into former Carolina Panthers star linebacker Thomas Davis’ home and wrecked his exotic sports car have been arrested, according to the Union County Sheriff’s Office.

The 15- and 17-year-old, who have not been identified, were taken into custody on Thursday and are in a juvenile detention facility.

A Union County deputy and other members of a U.S. Marshal’s Task Force were able to track the two suspects to a home on Touchstone Lane in Charlotte, where they were arrested.

The Union County Sheriff’s Office said deputies responded around 5:25 a.m. Tuesday to a larceny of a vehicle call near Davis’ home in Weddington.

When they got there, they said Davis and his wife told them a neighbor called to say that their McLaren 720S had been wrecked in the neighborhood.

The couple said as they were leaving their home to check out the car, they noticed that most of the vehicles in their driveway had open doors and trunks.

Detectives said they believe the suspects broke into and rummaged through several unlocked vehicles in the driveway before getting into the garage, where the McLaren was parked.

The suspects then reportedly drove the car out of the garage and crashed while traveling toward Providence Road. Deputies believe the suspects crashed into a getaway vehicle that the suspects used in the crime.

During Thursday’s arrests, detectives also found a dark colored SUV with green paint transfer at the home on Touchstone Lane. Investigators think the SUV was the getaway vehicle and the unintended paint transfer happened after the teens somehow crashed Davis’ McLaren into the SUV.

Davis posted videos and pictures on Instagram of the men rummaging through his things. He was also offering a reward to anyone who could help him find the suspects.

“If any of you recognize either one of these idiots that decided it was good idea to come into my home and go through all of my cars and even steal and wreck my McLaren. I’m offering a cash reward for anyone that can help identify who these guys are!” the retired linebacker posted.

In a series of other posts, Davis showed pictures of his wrecked sports car and close-ups of the teens believed to be involved. The posts drew more than 40,000 likes and over 1,000 comments.

On Tuesday evening, Davis said in a video posted on social media that they know who did it and have found the suspects.

Deputies said Davis also reported that two guns were stolen from one of the unlocked vehicles in the driveway. Those guns have not been recovered.

According to North Carolina law, the identities of the suspects can’t be released because of their ages, 17 and 15.

Authorities said a judge issued a secure custody order for the two teens. They are both facing charges, including burglary, two counts of larceny of a firearm, five counts of breaking and entering of a motor vehicle and motor vehicle theft.

Davis played 14 seasons with the Carolina Panthers. He is a three-time Pro Bowler who ranks first in franchise history with 1,258 tackles. In March, Davis signed a one-day contract to retire as a Carolina Panther.

(WATCH: Olsen, Davis to retire together as Panthers)