Here’s what homeowners need to know if a water pipe bursts or leaks

CHARLOTTE — After two water main breaks in Charlotte in less than 24 hours, Action 9′s Jason Stoogenke has advice for homeowners in case a pipe bursts on their property. Here’s what you need to know.


When there’s a water main break, usually the city or town where the break occurs will repair the problem. A home warranty may cover repairs to your property, but not the clean-up. Homeowners’ insurance may cover the clean-up, but not the repair.

(WATCH: Meteorologist John Ahrens breaks down possible causes for Charlotte’s ‘historical’ water main break)


If a water main break causes damage to your property, homeowners’ insurance usually won’t cover it. Homeowners can purchase water and sewer backup coverage, which may help. Coverage costs around $45 per year for $25,000 in coverage.

Stoogenke reminds homeowners that most policies don’t cover flooding, but flood insurance can be purchased. It usually takes 30 days for a policy to kick in. He said you can also file a claim with the city.

Stoogenke also suggests documenting the incident by taking photos and saving any receipts if you spend money on repairs or clean-up.

(WATCH: Boil water advisory in place after ‘historical’ water main break: What you need to know)