• I-95 reopens but hundreds of NC roads still closed post Florence

    Updated:

    CHARLOTTE, N.C. - North Carolina's governor announced that Interstate 95 has been reopened to all traffic within the state.

    Gov. Roy Cooper announced the surprise development Sunday night in a news release.

    [NCDOT: More than 50 roads in several local counties remain closed post-Florence]

    The major highway runs north-south across the eastern part of the state and runs just east of Fayetteville. Officials thought portions of the highway would continue to be underwater for days, but Cooper said floodwaters receded faster than expected.

    Parts of the highway had been closed since Sept. 15 due to Hurricane Florence.

    [GALLERY: Storm-related damage across the Charlotte area]

    Cooper said travel remains treacherous in parts of southeastern North Carolina even as floodwaters start to recede in some areas of the state.

    In the release, Cooper said people should remain aware of the dangers in still-flooded areas.

    He said, "Florence continues to bring misery to North Carolina," adding crews were still rescuing people who had driven into floodwaters over the weekend.

    [DAMAGE REPORTS: Florence topples trees, floods roads across region]

    He said teams have conducted about 350 rescues most recently and that more than 5,200 people have been rescued since Florence slammed into the Carolinas on Sept. 14 as a hurricane. He also said more than 3,700 people had to be evacuated.

    According to Cooper, authorities are focusing on going door to door and conducting wellness checks on those in flooded areas.

    Find a county-by-county list of North Carolina road closures, here.

    Next Up: