LINCOLN COUNTY, N.C. - A candidate in the running for Lincoln County sheriff was fired after serious questions arose about one of his former undercover detectives.
Jason Munday was fired for violating the police department's code of conduct, Lincoln County officials said.
Munday was a former supervisor over detectives and former detective Brent Heavner.
The police chief said Heavner lied in an internal investigation and that may raise serious questions about his ability to be truthful as a witness in court.
Heavner resigned after the district attorney questioned his ability to give fair testimony while he was investigating child predators.
Munday once said Heavner would be his second in command if he was elected sheriff.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Childress on home break-in: 'Thank God, and our Second Amendment'
- WATCH NASA LIVESTREAM: Super blue blood moon eclipse
- City councilman says field of potential Panthers investors narrowed to 6
- WATCH: Keith Monday’s Wednesday forecast outlook
- Island on North Carolina Outer Banks has no gas station
© 2019 Cox Media Group.