CHARLOTTE — A third suspect who was wanted in connection with a drive-by shooting that left a 3-year-old boy dead in northwest Charlotte turned himself in to police on Saturday, officials said.
Kaleb Lawrence, 21, was wanted in the murder of Asiah Fiquero, which happened just before midnight on Sept. 7. According to the Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office, Lawrence was charged with first-degree murder, eight counts of attempted murder, nine counts of shooting into an occupied dwelling and conspiracy to commit murder.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police have already charged two other men in connection with the boy’s murder.
Jacob Lanier, 21, was charged with murder, eight counts of attempted murder, nine counts of shooting into an occupied dwelling, and conspiracy to commit murder.
On. Sept. 23, Channel 9 learned Lanier was charged with five more counts of discharging a weapon into an occupied property.
Earlier, Qua’tonio Stephens, 21, was charged with accessory.
Channel 9′s Allison Latos was the only reporter in court last Friday as Stephens made his first appearance virtually.
According to detectives, two cars pulled up in front of a house along Richard Rozzelle Drive, off Rozzelles Ferry Road around 11:45 p.m. on Sept. 7 and several shooters unloaded more than 150 rounds at the home, hitting Asiah as he slept in his bed.
Police said the boy was rushed to a hospital, but did not survive.
Court documents include a timeline that not only connects Stephens to the shooting on Richard Rozzelle Drive, but to a string of other shootings earlier that day.
According to court records, at around 1 a.m. Tuesday, Stephens shot into three homes on Joe Morrison Lane with people inside. Later that night -- nearly 24 hours later -- police said several people opened fire on Richard Rozzelle Drive, killing Asiah.
Court records state Stephens “did knowingly assist that person in attempting to escape” and that he took possession of the murder weapon and tried to hide it from law enforcement.
Chopper 9 Skyzoom was overhead last week when Stephens was taken into custody after police said he led them on a high-speed chase on Interstate 85 near Brookshire Boulevard.
Police also charged Stephens with felony flee to elude, and seven counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill and three counts of shooting into an occupied dwelling from an incident that happened on Joe Morrison Lane.
Stephens is being held at the Mecklenburg County Jail under a $590,000 bond. If released, the judge has ordered him to be placed under 24-hour house arrest.
Detectives said the recent shootings are linked to fights between students from Hopewell, North Mecklenburg and Julius L. Chambers (formerly Vance) high schools.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Superintendent Earnest Winston held a news conference two days after Asiah’s death, where he pleaded with students to stop the violence.
“One of the things that brings us here today is that there is a 3-year-old child who our staff will not have the chance to teach,” Winston said at the conference. “I’m here enlisting the support of the community to help stop this violence. It has to stop.”
(WATCH: CMPD: High school students tied to drive-by shooting that killed sleeping toddler)
©2021 Cox Media Group