CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Family members of a man missing since Sunday reached out to Channel 9 for help.
Shane Black went out for a quick trip to the store around 11 p.m. Sunday. He never returned.
His girlfriend and ex-wife quickly grew concerned.
“I was very shaken up, very worried, very upset,” his girlfriend Shelby Bonus-Newman said.
His ex-wife, Christy Pauley, who lives in West Virginia, said from Google tracking on his phone’s GPS, they could tell he had been to the Walmart off Pineville-Matthews Road in Charlotte. The signal never moved from there.
On Tuesday, as family members and his girlfriend were ramping up their search – a breakthrough.
Black had been in a car accident and was admitted to a hospital as a John Doe after being in a crash on the I-485 near Pineville during Sunday night’s storms.
Now Shelby is asking why the Atrium Health Carolinas Medical Center never notified them, as his ID and hers were with him at the time of the crash.
A hospital spokesperson said they couldn’t comment on the specifics of the case, citing HIPAA privacy laws.
State troopers said they don’t typically contact family members after a crash unless there is a death,
Black remains in the hospital, but is in stable condition, and is expected to recover.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 'I felt something grab my leg': Teen surfer bitten by shark at Ocean Isle Beach
- NC park officials issue warning about 'zombie snake' that can play dead
- Crews rescue teenager stranded on South Fork River island
- FORECAST: Humidity drops as we dry out after 4 straight days of rain
- Grandmother of SC dad who killed his 5 kids asks to spare his life
© 2019 Cox Media Group.