GASTONIA, N.C. — Emergency crews responded to a collision early Wednesday morning between a train and a car near downtown Gastonia.
According to Gastonia police, the freight train hit the car on the tracks around 5 a.m. at East Airline Avenue and Poplar Street, before dragging it nearly four blocks.
A woman who was driving the car said the vehicle died on the tracks and she got out before the train hit it.
Nobody was hurt, according to EMS officials.
No further information has been released about the train.
East Airline Avenue was shut down at Poplar and Hancock streets while crews removed the car.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this story.
Read more top trending stories from wsoctv.com:
- McCrory: Attorney general using flawed argument against HB2
- Relatives mourn 86-year-old woman killed by family pit bulls
- Freight train collides with car near downtown Gastonia
- Cruise line charges widower $853 'rebooking fee' after wife's death
- First-graders accused of plotting to poison, kill classmate with silica gel
- Cankerworms hatch across North Carolina
Cox Media Group