CORNELIUS, N.C. - A woman drowned in Lake Norman after sustaining injuries near a dock, officials said.
Cornelius police and Huntersville Fire Department personnel responded to Island Forest Drive on Sunday afternoon.
Officials identified the victim as Shakira Varner, 27, from Charlotte.
Police said that Varner and another woman were on a private dock when Varner fell off and into the lake.
Paramedics told Channel 9 that Varner was found at the bottom of the lake and pulled from the water after roughly 10 minutes underwater.
She was taken to Carolinas Medical Center with but was later pronounced dead.
Investigators said the drowning happened off a dock and was not boat-related.
Sunday’s incident is the third drowning on Lake Norman this year.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Officials: 48 of 49 victims identified in Orlando nightclub massacre
- Orlando nightclub shooting: Son who sent texts to mom confirmed dead
- CMPD investigating 5 weekend shootings
- 7-year-old boy dies after ATV crash in Catawba County
- Nightclub hostage texted police: 'He just reloaded, please be careful'
© 2019 Cox Media Group.