LONG VIEW, N.C. - Police in Long View issued a warrant for Michael Cooke, who was allegedly involved in a deadly hit-and-run collision on Highway 70 in Catawba County Wednesday morning.
Authorities found the truck involved in the crash earlier in the day after someone spotted the damaged vehicle in a parking lot.
Cohen has not been charged but is expected to turn himself into authorities.
Investigators said a male pedestrian was struck and killed just before 6 a.m.
Officials told Channel 9 that the driver never stopped after hitting the victim in the eastbound lanes of Highway 70 near the Fran Mar Motel.
Police closed the eastbound lanes of Highway 70 for hours while they investigated.
"They walk from the hotel to up here, to back that way," nearby resident Windy Moretz said.
There was evidence at the scene that the pickup truck that struck the man was a 1988 model or newer.
"We have not narrowed down year, or model, don't have a color,” Pitts said. “We can say (that the) left mirror is in position, (the) headlight is destroyed and there's a bug shield."
Police said there were no witnesses to the crash.
The victim's name has not been released.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- City councilwoman's tweet compares police to terrorists
- Pack of small, vicious dachshunds running wild attacks, kills woman
- Source: Neighborhood street blocked as homicide suspect arrested
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Thursday forecast outlook
- Boy describes Hilton Head shark attack: 'I'm dreaming, wake me up!'
© 2019 Cox Media Group.