CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A driver is facing charges after police said they struck and killed a pedestrian late Monday night on East Independence Boulevard.
The collision happened just before 10 p.m. near Briar Creek Road and shut down Independence for more than three hours.
Investigators said John Wylie was walking on the shoulder of the road when a car drifted over and hit him. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police believe the driver, Johnny McCorbin, was speeding. He has been charged with misdemeanor death by vehicle.
When officers arrived at the scene, they found McCorbin pulled over on the right shoulder with heavy front-end damage to his Hyundai.
He was taken to the hospital with minor injuries before being arrested.
Investigators do not believe drugs or alcohol were factors in the crash.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Driver likely speeding before fatal pedestrian crash, police say
- Father arrested after slapping children in front of police officer
- Gunfire erupts in west Charlotte neighborhood hours after man shot
- WATCH: John Ahrens’ Tuesday forecast outlook
- No one called 911 for hours as 15-year-old lay dead at Florida apartment complex, family says
© 2019 Cox Media Group.