SPARTANBURG, S.C. — Authorities say a driver speeding from police who wanted to pull him over for street racing ran a red light and crashed into four other cars, killing one of the other drivers.
Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright said 21-year-old Alan Dixon was racing another car and running vehicles off the road around 8:50 p.m. Tuesday on state Highway 9 near Boiling Springs.
Wright says Dixon sped off as a deputy tried to pull him over, running a red light near Westgate Mall.
Wright told media outlets Dixon hit one car, killing the driver, 50-year-old Thomas Delise. The Mazda then crashed into three other vehicles.
Jail records show Dixon charged with hit and run involving death, acquiescing in racing and several other charges. It wasn't known if he had a lawyer.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Pair arrested after squatting in home once owned by Davidson mayor's parents
- Beloved LB Thomas Davis says he's done with Panthers after 14 seasons
- MS-13 gang member one of three accused of having 2 kilos of meth, police say
- WATCH: Severe Weather Center 9's Thursday forecast outlook
- CMS investigates after employee accused of sending inappropriate text to teenager