DARE COUNTY, N.C. - It's a tragic start to the long weekend along North Carolina's coast as a Virginia man died after getting caught in a rip current, authorities said.
John Albright, 68, of Blacksburg, Virginia, died at the Southern Shores beach after being pulled from the water by rescuers shortly after noon on Saturday, according to WRAL.
It's the eighth drowning along North Carolina's coast already this year, after a man died earlier this week in waters near Swansboro, according to WCTI.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Missing Maui hiker with ties to NC found alive after more than two weeks
- Rock Hill police officer fired after pulling gun during traffic stop for seat belt violation
- Video shows high school student punched repeatedly inside classroom
- NC Taco Bell workers appear to smoke inside, as line of cars grows in drive-thru
- 15-footer among 'cluster' of great white sharks tracked off Carolina coast
© 2019 Cox Media Group.