MARION, N.C. - Sheriff's investigators in North Carolina have charged two parents with involuntary manslaughter after a teenager in their home accidentally shot himself and died.
The McDowell County Sheriff's Office told news outlets 50-year-old Kimberly Cable and 46-year-old Roger Dale Cable are also charged with failure to store a firearm to protect a minor.
Investigators said 16-year-old Kyle Storm Lee was visiting the couple's son and playing around with a .44-caliber revolver on Friday when he shot himself in the head.
Detective Paul Alkire said there was a number of guns in the house to which the teenagers had access.
The Cables are free on $17,000 bond apiece. It's not known if they have attorneys.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police conducting homicide investigation after 3 shot, 1 fatally in Concord
- Pregnant woman embarrassed she was questioned about shoplifting at Pineville Staples
- Charlotte basketball player killed while riding bicycle in north Charlotte
- WATCH: Jaclyn Shearer's Sunday forecast outlook
- Steelers fan in full uniform sneaks onto practice field to challenge Antonio Brown
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.