AUSTIN, Texas - A quick-thinking attendant prevented a small fire at a Southwest Austin gas station from becoming much, much worse, Austin fire officials said.
The fire at an Exxon station at U.S. 290 and FM 1826 was confined to a single pump. It was reported just before 8 p.m. Friday.
The Austin Fire Department said a car drove off with the fuel nozzle still in its gas tank, ripping the pump out of the ground and dragging it a short distance. The resulting friction sparked a fire.
A gas station clerk saw what happened and hit the emergency shutoff button, preventing the fire from spreading.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.