A friend of Riley Howell, who was killed in a shooting on UNC Charlotte’s campus Tuesday, told Channel 9 Howell will be buried with full military honors.
Police said 21-year-old Howell jumped on the gunman to save others before he was shot.
Howell and Ellis “Reed” Parlier, 19, were killed in the shooting. Four other students were hurt.
Police said Howell’s actions in that classroom undoubtedly saved lives.
In their first interview since the tragedy, Howell’s family talks with our partners WLOS about the pain of losing Riley and the impact they hope he had on others.
“Take action when necessary without hesitation… That’s hopefully the gift that he’s given all of us,” his mother, Natalie Howell, said.
Howell’s funeral will be 5 p.m. Sunday at the Lake Junaluska Stuart Auditorium in Lake Junaluska. You can read his obituary here.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- AJ Freund’s parents killed him for soiling himself, hiding it, court documents allege
- Teen driver, sister killed in head-on crash passing school bus, troopers say
- Charlotte attorney, Cheslie Kryst, crowned Miss USA
- UNCC teacher in classroom that was attacked details shooting in blog post
- FORECAST: Muggy Friday, isolated storms expected through weekend
© 2019 Cox Media Group.