CHARLOTTE, N.C. - It's graduation season -- a time for parents to celebrate their children and their educational achievements.
But, a local program is turning the tables and filling a growing need to educate moms.
Since 2006, The Answer Scholarship has supported 82 mothers with more than $300,000 in scholarships, many of whom are single, working moms going to school full-time.
"I'm so excited, I could just pop," graduating mother Lawanda Goodman said. "I would always see on the job listings, you need this degree, you need that degree, it's required to have this degree and I was thinking -- I don't have these things."
Watch the video above as Eyewitness News anchor Brittney Johnson learned about the financial help you may have never heard of that's changing lives across our community.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- AJ Freund’s parents killed him for soiling himself, hiding it, court documents allege
- Teen driver, sister killed in head-on crash passing school bus, troopers say
- Charlotte attorney, Cheslie Kryst, crowned Miss USA
- UNCC teacher in classroom that was attacked details shooting in blog post
- FORECAST: Muggy Friday, isolated storms expected through weekend
© 2019 Cox Media Group.