BEECH MOUNTAIN, N.C. - Excitement and nostalgia surround the mysterious Land of Oz theme park in Beech Mountain, North Carolina. Although it was closed for many years, the park now opens its gates to host special events several times a year.
This year, the park has expanded its offerings in celebration of the 80th anniversary of the classic MGM film, "The Wizard of Oz."
In June, you can follow the yellow brick road during "Journey with Dorothy," held every Thursday and Friday, plus Wednesday, June 26, and Friday, July 5. During this interactive experience, Dorothy will guide you through the park while selected guests get the chance to play the part of one of her trusted companions or the wicked witch that she meets throughout her journey.
Tickets for "Journey with Dorothy" cost $27.50. Click here to purchase tickets.
This fall, the annual Autumn at Oz festival is set for the weekends of Sept. 6-8 and Sept. 13-15. The festival features all of the characters from the story and more.
Tickets for this event cost $45 (plus taxes and processing fees). Tickets for the festival will go on sale this summer.
Children age 2 and under are admitted free to both events.
From our past visits, here are some things you'll want to keep in mind.
- Typically, the events sell out fast, so plan on purchasing your tickets in advance (purchasing as soon as events go on sale is probably a good plan).
- Tickets are usually sold for time-specific tours.
- Once you reach the park, you’ll be greeted by Dorothy. For the June events, Dorothy will lead you on a tour of her house through the cellar as the “cyclone” hits and then out the other side onto the yellow brick road.
- The road is comprised of 44,000 yellow bricks and winds around the very top of Beech Mountain at an altitude of 5,506 feet above sea level.
- Due to many uneven pathways, stairs and ramps, The Land of Oz is not wheelchair or stroller friendly.
- It takes about 45 minutes to an hour to complete a tour of the park.
For more info about the Land of Oz, visit landofoznc.com.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.