GASTON COUNTY, N.C. — A man was killed when a truck ran off a road in Gaston County and fell 40 feet onto railroad tracks below.
State troopers were trying to determine how long the vehicle had been sitting on the tracks off Hickory Grove Road.
Neighbors told investigators that they heard a loud bang earlier in the morning.
The dead man was later identified as 58-year-old Richard Green of Gastonia. Troopers said he wasn't supposed be behind the wheel because he had a revoked license.
Troopers are still investigating the circumstances surrounding the wreck but said a combination of wet conditions, alcohol, and prescription medicine was to blame.
"Terrible,” motorist Mickey Spargo said. “It's terrible for anybody to do this."
Troopers estimated Green was driving 60 mph in a 45 mph zone.
"If it was raining heavy, he could have been off the roadway before he even realized he was off the road,” Trooper Ryan Huffstickler said.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Report: UNCC student killed in fall from party bus had been drinking
- 1 dead after truck found on railroad tracks 40 feet below road
- 13-year-old passenger killed in I-77 crash, troopers say
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Tuesday morning forecast
- TV anchor, photojournalist killed when tree falls on news vehicle
Cox Media Group