CABARRUS COUNTY, N.C. - The North Carolina State Highway Patrol investigated a fatal crash on Highway 601 in Cabarrus County.
Officials with Midland Fire and Rescue told Channel 9 the wreck happened around 10 a.m. on S. Highway 601. The road was closed in both directions between Mount Pleasant Road South and Carriker Road.
Officials said a car traveling south crossed the center line and hit a tractor-trailer traveling north.
The driver of the car, Courtney Davis, died in the crash.
Investigators said between 20 and 25 gallons of diesel fuel spilled from the truck involved, and it took hours to clean up.
The sheriff's office is still investigating the accident.
This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Woman dies when thrown from boat, run over in South Carolina
- 3 teens shot outside north Charlotte home; no arrests made
- Missing Florida mom's body found in Georgia, family says
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Tuesday forecast outlook
- Police identify man found shot to death near Charlotte greenway
© 2019 Cox Media Group.