CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Troopers have identified two people who were killed in a crash early Sunday on Interstate 77 just north of uptown.
Officials said the crash happened around 5 a.m. on I-77 southbound near LaSalle Street.
Two lanes were closed but later reopened while troopers investigated the crash.
Officials with the North Carolina State Highway Patrol said the driver, 24-year-old Roy Miguel Mewborn, slammed into a car that was traveling very slowly or stopped in the middle of the interstate.
Officials said the crash killed the driver of the car, 33-year-old Phillip Hayes Jr., and his passenger, 32-year-old Jessica Pacatte.
(Roy Miguel Mewborn)
There are several Department of Transportation cameras in the area that may have recorded the crash, which troopers said they plan to review.
Mewborn is facing charges of driving while impaired and two counts of felony death by motor vehicle. He is booked at the Mecklenburg County Jail under a $50,000 bond.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Outback server stiffed by church on $735 order loses job over Facebook post
- Couple's life savings sink away 2 days into boating adventure
- WATCH: Vicki Graf’s Sunday forecast outlook
- Priest assaulted, teen charged in south Charlotte attack
- WATCH: Choir students sing national anthem from all floors of Kentucky hotel, wowing guests
© 2019 Cox Media Group.