MOUNT PLEASANT, S.C. - The owners of the dock that collapsed this weekend, which sent more than a dozen people plunging into a South Carolina creek, say the partiers should never have been there in the first place, according to WCIV.
Officials said the incident happened on Shem Creek at The Wreck Restaurant along Haddrell Street.
According to Mount Pleasant police, the dock and boardwalk collapsed at the restaurant while 40 people attending a birthday party were taking pictures.
Rescue crews said about 20 people fell into the water and three people were taken to the hospital, but are expected to be OK.
Police told WCIV everyone who fell into the water was able to get out safely, but divers did search the area to make sure no one was in the creek.
The Wreck restaurant owns the private dock, but owners said the dock is not normally open to the public.
Because the dock is private and was built before 1977, D-HEC said it is not subject to inspection.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Driver says uneven lanes on I-77 caused scary camper crash
- Sheriff's Office makes plea for civility following mugshot wisecracks
- Firefighters reunite family with beloved dog after northeast Charlotte house fire
- FORECAST: Charlotte region prepares for week of humidity, afternoon shower chances
- ESPN: Kemba Walker heading to Boston
© 2019 Cox Media Group.